Sunday, October 25, 2009

41 miles later...

My last post was on Oct 11, and since then, I've logged over 41 miles running. That includes two long runs (10 miles last week and 11 miles this morning), 2 sprint interval runs (this week's sucked), and a 5 mi run, along with some cycling and strengthening. I am pleased to say that it looks like I am now a sub-9 minute mile runner, having completed today's 11 miler at an 8:51/mi pace.

Beth said she's doing 10 miles tomorrow. Not bad. It's no 11, but hey, that's alright. It doesn't mean she's a bad person. There are plenty of other things she does that mean that.

Two weeks ago I ended the post by saying I planned to stick to the workout schedule that week. That didn't so much happen. Instead, I ignored all but 2 days of the schedule. Good times.

This week, I was much better - I did every workout except one (which I made up for by doing more than scheduled today). I'm pretty pleased with that. That's 5 days of working out this week, probably a new record for me.

Speaking of personal records, I've never run 11 miles before. I've done 10 three times - once in the 2004 Virginia Beach Half Marathon, once in the 2008 Soldier Field 10, and once last week (last week's was the fastest by about 15 minutes). I did go more than 11 miles in the half marathon (that's 13.1), but I walked the last three miles or so, so I don't count it as my longest run.

I'm ripping the "grinds my gears" bit off from Beth, since she ripped it off from Family Guy. Things that grind my gears: people who don't move out of the way even though I'm saying "excuse me!" The last few miles of my run today were up 1st Ave from 34th to 90th. At one point I came across a group of people walking 4 abreast with giant umbrellas, taking up the whole sidewalk, and ignoring me. As I passed, I made some comment thanking them for taking up all the available space. Their response: "The sidewalks aren't for runners." Really? Are there wheels attached to my feet that I'm not aware of?

Anyway, it's quarter to 3 in the morning, and I'm going to sleep. See you next week.

3 comments:

  1. You know what pisses me off about those idiots that wouldn't move out of the way for you? Were you merely a fast walker, they would've stayed put just the same. It's not the fact that you were running that induced their snide remark, it's the fact that they're just flat-out rude!

    Well done on the 11 miles of running! How long will our longest pre-marathon run be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly!! Or even a slow walker in the other direction.

    Thanks. The longest pre-marathon run should be about 20 miles, and it'll happen about 3 weeks before the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gonna watch the NYC Marathon on Sunday? I'll be hanging out by the reentrance into Central Park, somewhere along CP South.

    ReplyDelete