Monday, October 12, 2009

Oy my knee!

So much has happened since my last blog. I will start by clearing the air. Yes, I did compliment Moser. However, in my defense it was his birthday and I was delirious with exhaustion. I probably also complimented his couch and told his lamp I loved it. Who knows what went down. Anyways, Moser and I did run the 7 miles in Great Neck. They have ridiculous amounts of hills. Thank goodness IL is flat.

So in addition to running with Moser I have been going to my running club and socializing with my fellow good looking runners in the greater Wicker Park area. However, the running club will now thin out seeing as how the Chicago Marathon occurred this last weekend.

I attempted to run for 60 minutes on Saturday. I was in fact doing amazing *pats self on back* and approximately 8 min 30 seconds miles when about 48 minutes in I felt intense pain in my knee. So, as all good runners would do I stopped running. Unfortunately, it was a windy Chicago day and I was in mere running clothes when without physical exertion the weather would require a coat. So, I started to freeze. Therefore, I started to run to avoid the cold and before I knew it I fell over from pain. I once again stopped and hobbled "igor-style" for the last mile of my run. Not my most promising moment and I am letting my knee recover.

This past weekend was also the Chicago Marathon. Although I didn't run it I did sell my soul to Nike for about 5 hours and hock their overpriced goods in a tent. I got to see the first guy finish who was of course from Kenya and he set a new course record of 2 hours and 5 min and some odd seconds. To break it down that's like 4 min and 45 second miles for like 26.2 miles. That is insane and when the guy finished he looked like you or I would after a somewhat rousing game of racquetball and didn't look nearly as tired as I do after even like 8 miles. I guess that's why he's a pro. I also heard people talking after the marathon, and upon inquiring how one guy was feeling after the marathon, his exact words were "My body feels like shit but in my head it was amazing." I guess that kind of sums up the marathon experience.

Now for another installment of you know what really grinds my gears. You know what really grinds my gears: People that have no problem letting their dog crap on the very narrow running trail, and when you look at them like um..aren't you going to clean that up, they act like they have places to be and can't be bothered. If you have time to stroll your dog down by the lake...you have time to pick up his poop.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully it wasn't the outside of your knee. Beware of IT band syndrome. It knocked me out of my marathon this year with 3 weeks to go.

    ReplyDelete