Saturday, September 12, 2009

Season Kickoff

We're almost at $1,000! Make your donation online today at:

http://bit.ly/jewsforjogging

TNT's NYC chapter officially kicked off the winter season today, with an introduction of all the coaches, mentors, and TNT staff. It was a pretty big group - about 20 or 25 of them, for the 40 or so runners. Among the highlights was when they asked cancer survivors to stand up and introduce themselves. About 8 got up on stage, 2 of whom were diagnosed and recovered when they were teenagers (one has been a TNT coach for the past 5 or 6 seasons), and 2 of whom are currently undergoing treatment (one was diagnosed only 3 months ago). The last person to go was the mother of the team's honored patient, a six-year-old boy who was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of three and who will be involved with the team as we train for Disney.

After the meeting, all 60 of us walked a few blocks over to Central Park and did a 30 minute out-and-back at a "conversation pace" - that is, slow enough to comfortably talk to your neighbors, about a 10:45 pace for me. The point wasn't so much for distance (I was among the faster people, meaning I went among the furthest distances, and I didn't even hit 3 miles), as it was for getting 30 minutes of cardio exercise in and meeting some of the other people running this season.

Overall, it was a good experience. Everyone I talked to was really nice. It was a great change of pace from talking to Beth.

Aside from that, I had a pretty busy week, workout-wise. I ran 10K in under an hour on Tuesday night, then had the last pre-season group run with TNT on Wednesday night, a 4 mile run at conversation pace. I took Thursday off, then dragged myself off my couch and to the gym on a rainy Friday for half on hour on the bike and a little time on some machines.

The last part turned to be pretty stupid. I hadn't done that in months. My arms are ridiculously sore now. Typing actually hurts, so with that, I'm going to end this post. See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment