Monday, September 7, 2009

Back from Jersey

Did you know that 56% of your tax-deductible donation goes to patient/community services and research? Help us in the fight against leukemia, lymphoma, and other cancers by visiting:

http://bit.ly/jewsforjogging

You can also learn more about where your money goes here.

I'll admit it. Beth has me beat in mileage - my best week so far is 15.48 (my total since August 29 is 20.48 - you can follow my training log online here). Unlike her, however, I also threw in some bicycling and - wait for it - pilates. Yeah, that's right. Pilates. Now, I don't mean to imply that this somehow makes me better than her...but it does.

Wednesday night was my first group TNT experience. I had run the Virginia Beach 1/2 marathon with TNT in 2004, but I lived in Maryland and raised money for my sister's chapter, in Delaware. As a result, while I got all the great benefits TNT has to offer during the event weekend, I wasn't able to join in the group training. This season hasn't kicked off yet, but TNT NYC did organize (for the first time) a couple of pre-season Wednesday night workouts, and this time, I am taking full advantage.

This week's pre-season workout was a 1/2 hour beginner pilates session, followed by a 2.5 mile out-and-back in Central Park at "conversation speed," the speed where you can comfortably chat with the person next to you without out of control heavy breathing, about 11:30/mile. There were about 20 other people at the workout. The pilates session was tough, but I wasn't anywhere near as sore as several people told me I would be. This leads me to believe that I most likely have superhuman strength.

...Or I was doing it wrong. Definitely one of the two.

Aside from that, I haven't done much noteworthy in the past week. I did a couple of 4 to 5 mile runs, a 10 mile bicycle ride, and I'm trying to remember to work in at least a couple of core and muscle strengthening exercises, usually push-ups and crunches, after a run or bike ride.

Over the weekend, instead of working out, I had a rehearsal dinner, wedding, and post-wedding brunch in New Jersey, so I traded in my running shoes for drinks, dancing, and deep-fried oreos. Turned out it wasn't much of an excuse - two people at the wedding who are training with TNT for the NYC marathon had run 16 miles the morning of the rehearsal dinner. Thanks to Shelby and Tara for showing me up :)

Tomorrow I run in the morning, then Wednesday night is the last pre-season workout before training kicks off on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment