Sunday, March 8, 2009

2 cheesesteaks in under 24 hours

As the title of the post indicates, I ate an ungodly amount of food while in Philly for the past couple days. Luckily, when I got back at about 3:30 today, with the weather at a cool but comfortable 65 and cloudy, I knew exactly how to work off those extra calories:

With a two and a half hour long nap.

Once that was done, though, I was ready to burn the weight I gained this weekend by...

Hanging out with my 19 month old nephew for half an hour.

But after he (and everyone else) left for dinner, which I had absolutely no interest in (I was still living off the three brunches I ate on the train ride home), I finally ran out of excuses. It had gotten cooler, into the mid 50s, but the gym was closed, so I ran outside in New York for the first time this year. It felt nice, but the problem with running outside around here is that my house is pretty much at the top of a hill. So, not only is it much more hilly around here than anything I'm used to, but inevitably, the last quarter or half mile of the run is uphill. Never a fun way to finish it off. Since I had to deal with small to medium hills for the first time in about 5 months, I took it easy today and stopped at 5k, finishing it up in 31 minutes (almost exactly 10 minute miles).

Just to make sure this post doesn't end with nothing anti-Beth, anybody else notice that Beth started having second thoughts right around the exact same time my runs consistently started roughly matching hers in difficulty? Sounds like someone is scared.

1 comment:

  1. There is one way (and only one way) to avoid hills in Russell Gardens. Run down Merrivale to the 5-way interseciton. Run up Merrivale to the Melbourne intersection. Repeat about 800 times. Run back to Linford. That should get you about a quarter of a mile, but at least you won't be running uphill. ;)

    ReplyDelete