Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Let the spinning wheel spin"

I figure I won't even mention the whole Beth-not-working-out thing after this. It'll probably blow over soon anyway. She says she's going to the gym tonight. And if not, we'll just know that I'm generally a better person than she is, that's all.

So, I finally got to try the spin class at NYSC. The instructor was some guy, and he knew about half the peoples' names, so they're obviously regulars. I knew I was in trouble when all but 3 of the 17 people in the room raised their hands in answer to the question, "Who has their own heart monitor?"

I do not have my own heart monitor. The good news is, even if I did, it would have just been a waste of money. I wouldn't have had a clue of what the guy was talking about. Everything I know about lactic acid I learned from the cross examination of the doctor in "A Few Good Men," and that was not quite enough to follow along when he started talking about thresholds and different levels and all that.

Anyway, we did 3 9-minute sets on varying intensities, spending about a third of each set standing. Here's my problem with spinning, and I think I mentioned this the first time I tried it too: I have no clue what high or low resistance is. I mean, I know what I think is high or low resistance, but I don't have a clue of what the people around me think. I know, I'm just supposed to do whatever I think is right, but it drives me nuts that I have no way of knowing if what I think is medium intensity is the same as the average or whether it's higher or lower. I'd just like to know, that's all.

But, however intense my workout was compared to everyone else, it was a pretty good one for me, although not long enough. Only 30 minutes. Next time I'll pair it up with something else.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete