Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Narcissist and the Lawyer (My personal training session)

So, I havent written in here a while, so I am going to do 2 entries. The first one is for my personal training session last Wednesday. I thought I was going to be meeting with this very in shape lil blonde girl who runs marathons. I was pretty psyched as I thought she could offer some great insight. Turns out, she is the boss and doesnt train people. Instead, I got stuck with some metrosexual meathead. I could tell as soon as this guy walked up I wouldnt like training with him. He was a good looking guy, and in pretty good shape, but he had this cocky walk indicating "stick with me kid, I mean look at my muscles."

So we start by him asking me what I do when I regularly work out. I told him I run on the treadmill for about 5 miles 3-4 times a week. At this point, I think most people would be like oh not too bad, etc. This guy makes a face like I just sharted and is like "I like to call running on the treadmill the I can pick up my feet exercise." Now I get where he was coming from as it doesnt require as much energy because its on a belt, but 5 miles is still 5 miles. He asked me my mile time, and I told him and then he goes on to telling me how when he runs he can do 7 minute miles when he runs distance and 6 minute miles when he sprints. Now I had a couple of problems with this: a) this was completely unsolicited and just a way for him to tell me how mr. awesome he is b) you work at a damn gym! That's like the lil Japanese hotdog eating guy telling me how many hotdogs he can down in a minute. Its what you get paid for! I sit in an office all day.

Then we went to go do the exercises and he had me do a 10 min running warm up to which I actually did a little more then a mile. We then did a series of exercises and sprints. He would have me do lunges, or pullups, or squats, etc, and then sprint a lap. There was however one problem with this. For those of you who know me I was messing up the form of every exercise he showed me. At first he was patient and worked with me, and then I think he just kind of gave up, and let me do my modified incorrect workout. However, this type of training was crazy hard and unlike anything I have ever done. I was still sore 3 days later.

After all this working out, he told me to lie down on this little table. He then took this foam tubey thing and used it on my back to give essentially a back massage with it. Ordinarily women would be pretty excited to have some attractive man that close to them. I was skeeved out, and I hate being touched. The whole time I was just closing my eyes hoping it was over. Afterwards, we went into the office to talk figures. Of course I wasnt going to hire this guy, but I felt as though its just courtesy to let him go through his spiel. We got to talking turns out this guy also went to Illinois State for a semester. However, he spent his freshman year of college at ISU, when I was a senior. Damn I am old! My personal training session wasnt the eye opening experience I had hoped for, but I learned some new things and some new exercises to do, so overall it wasnt too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment