Saturday, March 21, 2009

Another day, another five miles

I didn't work out on Thursday - I was busy folding socks or something equally important - so I made sure to get to the gym on Friday after work to get a run in. I got on the treadmill for five miles, 1% incline, same speeds as last time (6.1 for 2.5mi, 6.3 for 1.25mi, 6.5 for 1mi, 7.0-8.0 for a quarter mile sprint).

Something I've noticed about being on a treadmill for close to an hour: you get to run next to a lot of different people. That's not necessarily a good thing. Sure, sometimes it's just a bunch of different cute girls, which is great, but often, it means you're just running next to different types of annoying behavior. For example, about half the run, the treadmill next to me was occupied by the loudest treadmiller I've ever heard. Now, I have pretty lousy form, and my feet come down on the ground hard. Anyone who has been in my house when I was coming down the stairs can attest to that. That makes my jogging on a treadmill kind of loud. This guy absolutely destroyed me in decibels...and he was just walking. He wasn't even walking fast. And he was not anywhere close to the beat of the songs I was listening to, which just added to the annoyance.

After he left, another guy got on. Every two or three strides (and that is not an exaggeration) he would wipe the sweat off his face or adjust his headphones. That part was fine. It was the fact that every time he did it, he flung his hand all the way out to the side as it was going to do whatever he was doing. Every 5 seconds I thought he was about to smack me in the nose and kept flinching because of it. That got pretty annoying.

But the big news today is: I got my new running shoes. They're the same kind I've been using for the past 2 or 3 years (Brooks Adrenaline GTS). I love them. I'm going to break these out as soon as there's a day I can run outside, and it looks like that will be tomorrow.

Also tomorrow, I have to be at Central Park at 8:30 AM to fulfill my volunteer requirement for NYC 2010 guaranteed entry. I'll be cutting the timing chips off peoples' sneakers after they cross the finish line, because that job starts the latest of all the volunteer jobs and involves sitting.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it seem odd to you that a person who is training for essentially 2 marathons needs to plan around sitting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm really worried that I annoy other people when I am working out.

    ReplyDelete