Wednesday, February 11, 2009

5,000,000 millimeters

I got to the gym today with the goal of running 3 miles, and as I was stretching and warming up, a story came on the TV in front of me about...you guessed it...the Disney Marathon. I was listening to my iPod, so I couldn't hear what the story was about, but for the first 5 minutes of my run I was watching people running the marathon last month, cheering, having a good time, meeting the Disney characters, running through the parks... it looked like fun. Definitely erased any question of whether or not I'd make it the 3 miles I planned.

I ended up going for the 5K, which is just over 3 miles at 3.11. I've been almost fully convinced to run a sprint distance triathlon this July in New Jersey, just before training for the marathon would actually begin, and that's the distance of the run segment, so I'm feeling pretty good about doing it.

Sorry, I don't have any particularly witty comments about tonight's workout, but I did see one kind of out of place thing at the gym tonight. The manager of the place, Randy, who was the guy that signed me up, and who is kind of a meathead who clearly did not plan to be managing a gym in his home town of Great Neck in his mid 30s, spent pretty much my entire half hour run obsessing over clipping this 3 foot tall plant that sits right outside the front door of the gym. He was going at it from every angle, making sure that absolutely no leaf stuck out even a little too far. Something about that kind of guy expending that much effort on a plant just seemed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment