Saturday, February 21, 2009

One more post from the South

First off, I have to make a correction. Clearly, I made a typo a few days ago when I called Beth the witty half of Jews for Jogging. What I obviously meant to call her was the cruel, pure evil half of Jews for Jogging. My mistake. It's OK though, because in less than a year, I'll be in as good shape as she is, and with my longer legs and stronger muscles, I'll easily smoke her on race day. No big deal.

Anyway, I'm heading back to New York tomorrow at the ass crack of dawn (I have to leave for the airport at 5:30 AM), so today I had to check in for my flight, which involved working around the fact that Century Village is not exactly up to the year 2009 when it comes to easy internet access. My sister managed to find a WiFi hotspot in the community (with security rivaling the Pentagon), and while I was online, I figured I'd update the world on what I've been doing for exercise the past couple of days, since when I go on vacation, I still work out (unlike a certain other Jew for Jogging who went to Vegas without running shoes and who shall remain nameless).

Yesterday I found the gym here, which is surprisingly well-stocked with pretty new equipment. I hopped on a bike and did a hill intervals ride for half an hour, which was unquestionably tougher than the bike workouts I was doing at New York Sports Club. Looks like I'm going to have to bump up to a level 11 or 12 next time I do a bike ride there.

Today, I laced up my running shoes and headed out for what I planned to be a minimum of a 5K, with a goal of hopefully getting to 3.5 miles. As it turned out, though, when I got to 3.5, I was feeling pretty good, and I was about 3/4 mile away from my grandmother's, where I had to get back to anyway, so I ended up running a full 4 miles. That's 4 miles, in the hot sun, on the unforgiving pavement, braving the elements, unlike a certain other Jew for Jogging who takes it easy on her nice comfortable treadmill and who, again, shall remain nameless.

If the flight out here was any indication, I'm going to be painfully sore when I land at LaGuardia tomorrow. Apparently, Spirit Airlines doesn't believe in the concepts of "leg room" or "turning off the Fasten Seat Belt sign," so I'm looking forward to a solid three hours of sitting in a ridiculously cramped seat with nowhere to go. Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment