Saturday, February 28, 2009

I'm gonna feel that tomorrow.

I took yesterday off to rest up before trying to match Beth's speed. After getting about 4 hours of sleep, and spending 3 hours walking around Chelsea Market and the meatpacking district with Beth, eating samples of like 9 different foods, I figured it would be the perfect time to run 4 miles faster than I ever have before, because, hey, what better time to run than when you're tired and full?

Side note: if you've never been to Chelsea Market, on the west side of 9th Ave between 15th and 16th, go check it out some time. Some guy bought the building 10 years ago when the area was a dump and gave really cheap 20 year leases to a bunch of independent retailer/wholesalers, and now they all have really good food for really good prices, and I believe most, if not all of them, are open 24/7. Unfortunately, the landlord sold it to a group more interested in profit, so it's not going to last forever.

Anyway, after the tour, we got to the gym, got ready, did our warmups, and kicked it up to 6.1 mph for the first 2 miles, then 6.3 for a mile, then 6.5 until we sprinted from 7 to 8 mph in the last quarter mile, hitting 4 miles a little north of 38 minutes. I actually thought I might have to stop in the first quarter mile, because I had gotten that shooting pain in the back of my ankle that I've mentioned a couple times, on the right side. I should probably find out what that is, but after a 5 or 10 seconds, it passed and I had no trouble. After that we did some crunches and assisted pull-ups, and then headed out.

So, the important thing to take out of all this is that I matched Beth's speed over 4 miles, and it only took a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment