Thursday, February 19, 2009

Greetings from sunny Florida!

Yes, I'm down here at Century Village in Deerfield Beach, about halfway between West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale, blogging away amongst the demographic you'd expect to find in a gated community called Century Village. The mercury got up to about 75 today, so I went for a nice jog outside.

Now, I know Beth has been talking some smack about distance. Seems she does 4.5 miles, while I only get up to 5K. Here's what she doesn't tell you, though: anyone with a decent pair of running shoes and a dream can run 4.5 miles on a treadmill. That's child's play. You could go do it right now, if you were really motivated.

On the other hand, braving the elements and pounding your feet on cold, unforgiving concrete for 5K...now that takes skill and endurance. Not just anyone can do that. But, that's what I did today, in 31:04 (almost exactly 10 min/mile). And on top of that, I did that on the knee I messed up the other day, which I have self-diagnosed as being shattered into six to seven dozen fragments (without the use of any medical tests or, for that matter, medical knowledge). And, you'll all be amazed to know, my shattered kneecap has actually healed itself almost entirely in the span of about 48 hours, which, I'm pretty sure, makes me some sort of medical marvel.

So, Beth, once you've actually managed to go a respectable distance on pavement, then you can start mocking me again. Until then, enjoy your cute little cushioned run with a TV and air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment