Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bicycling without the bicycle

I can tell you I spent 30 minutes on an exercise bike today. I can tell you I went about 9.2 miles. I can tell you I never went below 90 RPM and spent about half of it over 95, and that I started at level 10 and went up to level 12 in the last third of the ride.

But here's the thing: I have no idea what any of that means. If you run 3 miles on a treadmill, you might not be able to run quite that far outdoors, because it's harder, but you can at least make an educated guess of how far you'll get. I have absolutely no idea what "level 12" on an exercise bike translates to in the real world. Even the miles don't mean much, because you ride differently on a real bike. You change gears, you coast down hills.

So, it was a good workout, but when it gets warmer I'll have to go out on a real bicycle and see what the difference is. In the meantime, though, I think I'm good to go on the bicycle ride for the triathlon. Now I just have to see how far I can swim (last time I tried, about a year ago, it was....let's just say short), and then I'll decide if I'm going to sign up for it. But, it's looking like I will.

Beth, how about you?

Oh right. Beth didn't work out today. Point for me. You know, if we were keeping track of these things. Which....we're not. Probably.

1 comment:

  1. It's so nice to see that you continue to Moser tradition of not being competitive at ALL.

    ReplyDelete