Monday, February 9, 2009

Spinning

Today's workout: 50 min spin class.

There was a time, many years ago, the first time I heard of spin class, when I believed that maybe, just maybe, it was a workout where you stand in one spot and spin around until you pass out. To be honest, I couldn't think of another possible meaning for it.

Now I know what it means: it's kind of like a exercise bicycle, except it only has one wheel, and the wheel is directly attached to the pedals, so unlike on your bicycle, when you stop spinning your pedals - say, to adjust the resistance while standing - instead of coasting, the pedals just keep spinning and drag your feet around with them.

Once I got used to that, though, and got comfortable with the fact that there was no way I was going to keep up with the rest of the class, all of whom had clearly done it before, it was a great workout. I'll definitely go back, but I'm going to have to get some time on an exercise bike (or if it's warm enough, an actual bicycle) first.

No comments:

Post a Comment