Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ludicrous speed!

Beth's going to be in New York City this weekend (her boyfriend lives in Brooklyn), so on Saturday we're meeting up and doing a food tour of Chelsea Market and the meatpacking district. If you've never done a food tour and you like touristy stuff, I recommend it. You walk around for 3 hours, learn a little about the history of the area, and taste a sample of the food of about half a dozen local restaurants and food shops.

Anyway, after the tour, we're going to head over to a nearby New York Sports Club and, with my membership and a guest pass, we're going to run, and I think we're both just kind of assuming it'll be a race. And, knowing that she usually runs faster than me, I figured tonight would be a good time to try kicking it up a notch. So I did something that I don't think I've ever done (outside of the final sprint of a run). I raised my treadmill speed above 6.0 mph. That's right. For 4 miles, I went all the way up to the stunningly fast speed of.......wait for it.......

6.1 mph.

That shaved about 9 or 10 seconds off each mile, and with the sprint at the end, I finished in just over 39 minutes.

So, in the past 2 days, I've biked over 10 miles, ran 4, and spent about half an hour doing miscellaneous exercises. Meanwhile, in the same amount of time, Beth has done....hang on, let's add it all up carefully....carry the 1....oh, right. Beth has done no exercise and, instead, has skipped the gym to eat and drink.

I'm not saying that for any particular reason. Just thought I'd mention it.

No comments:

Post a Comment